Wednesday, June 11, 2008

An invitation, a playgroup, and an errand

I was invited to a Swiss playgroup yesterday by a woman, Rachel, who I met at our local playground. She told me some of the women speak English and that they get together every Wednesday at a local church. I was a little hesitant at first since Rachel said she may not be there today, but this morning I decided to bite the bullet and go for it.

Marion and I arrived a little late. My fault entirely, I can't seem to shake the sleepies. Anyway, I couldn't seem to find the room at first. What seemed to be the church had mailboxes outside with people's names on it so I was convinced I was at the wrong place. But the address was correct so after wandering around for a bit we went inside.

Right away we heard children's voices and I was sure we were in the right place. Marion perked right up, looking at me with her wide eyes saying, "Play!!!!"

I followed the voices and opened a door. Jackpot! I saw women, children, and playdoh- definitely the right place. Everyone was very welcoming, although only two of the five women spoke English. But Marion and I settled in and had a great time.

They even helped me with some German and we had a laugh about how difficult Swiss German can be to learn. Apparently some of the words in Swiss German are very similar to each other. Specifically, the words for ugly and pretty. You can imagine people's reactions if you mix those two up! I now can pronounce these words and they are very close to each other. I don't have a clue as to how they are written though so you'll just have to take my word for it.

After the playgroup, Marion and I set out on a mission we received from Brian- get the tags on our car switched to the new ones we received after we titled and registered it in our names.

Easier said than done. I originally thought Brian was going to handle this since he had been to the garage before. But since he is so busy, we decided I would do it and he told me the garage was just next to a second hand shop we went to last week.

Ha, not even close. The garage I went to was at least a half mile up the road from the shop. Details though, right? There's a reason we purchased a GPS unit.

Anyhow, I found the garage and got the tags changed out. One less thing on our list! After our errand, Marion and I headed back to the apartment for lunch and her afternoon nap.

As I drove up to the apartment building I heard Marion say from the back seat, "We home!"

Music to my ears. I think she's finally starting to get it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear you were able to find a group. I'm sure it's been a worry whether or not Marion and you would have people to get to know and be friends with. Sounds like a fun time!!!