Monday, June 23, 2008

The ballet class that wasn't

I was supposed to take Marion to a ballet class today. Those plans were ruined at approximately 12:30 am this morning.

Brian woke me up telling me Marion was awake. I wasn't very concerned. She usually wakes up for one of two reasons. She either has had a bad nightmare or is sick. And seeing how her nose was just a bit runny earlier, I was confident she would go back to sleep shortly.

She didn't.

So after 20 minutes of crying, I went to get her and bring her back to our room.

Getting her out of bed never ends well. Once you get her out, she won't fall asleep again in her crib. At least we were mentally prepared for the night to come.

As soon as I picked her up I knew something was wrong. She was burning up. We tried to find the thermometer we brought with us but couldn't locate it. So we spent the night trying to calm her down, cool her down, get her to sleep, and fill her up with liquids.

She was still burning up this morning. So I called the pediatrician first thing in the morning.

This office continues to be a favorite of mine. I called at 7:45 am and someone answered the phone. Open before 8 am?!?!?!

I then told the woman who answered the phone the situation and asked for an appointment that morning. She asked if 8 am would be okay.

Um, absolutely!!!

We were running a bit late since we drove Brian to the train station, but only by a couple of minutes or so. We were taken straight back to an exam room when we arrived where Marion was weighed and had her temperature taken.

Yep, the fever was a doozy. The highest it has ever been: 38.7 degrees Celsius/101.7 degrees Fahrenheit. Definitely up there, despite us giving her some Children's Tylenol this morning.

The nurse acknowledged her high temperature and told us the doctor would be in in two minutes. Sure enough, he was. Wearing Birkenstocks. Love this guy!

I told him the symptoms and he took a look. Marion has another ear infection and some throat irritation.

At this point, I know antibiotics are coming and I start to worry. We still don't have insurance cards. And how do you get antibiotics here?

Well, as I soon found out, you get them from the doctor.

He left the room and came back with a box of amoxicillin and a nasal spray. Then he prepared the amoxicillin (it needs to be mixed with water), wrote the amount and timing required on a sticker, and stuck it on the box.

Amazing. Simply amazing.

What took me 15 minutes at the pediatrician's office here in Switzerland would have taken me at least 3 hours in the States.

Gotta go pick my jaw up off the floor now.


Hoppy said...

Wow! Hope she's feeling better. Think she might have gotten your pre-disposal to infection (i.e. Adnoids, tonsils)? Hang in there.

Anonymous said...

hope she feels better!

Grammie said...

Oh no. I was hoping to wake up this morning and see a picture of Marion with her new ballet slippers, and lovin them.

Sorry to hear she is sick, again. I know how miserable she can be, w/out sleep and feeling so bad. Hang in there...She has an early start on meds and that will make a big difference.

Love to all...Hugs :)

Anonymous said...

she better get better soon.....

ToadMama said...

So, you've been there only a few weeks and I am starting to think you might not want to come home! (-:

I love keeping up with y'all on your Blog. I hope Marion feels better soon. I, too, am looking forward to ballet pics.

mrsmac said...

Hoppy- probably. here's hoping she didn't!

Colleen- she already is, thank goodness!

Grammie- no kidding, we'll have to check out ballet next week!

Kathy- thanks! here's hoping she takes to the class next week and we can get her a tutu!

Lisa said...

Poor little pumpkin! Hope she gets better fast! And go, Swiss! They're nothing if not efficient.

Libby said...

Other than Marion being sick, sounds like things are going well over across the pond. Love hearing how well thigns run over there compared to here in the states. Enjoy it. Thanks for keeping up with us too!