Thursday, July 31, 2008

A style first

Marion sported a ponytail today.

She was pretty proud of her hair and kept trying to see it. So, she didn't grasp the idea of a ponytail. But she still looked cute!

In other Swiss Macs news, we have spent the last few days meeting up with friends.

On Tuesday I hosted the weekly coffee group at our flat. Yesterday morning we went to the Park im Grüene and then, after nap, we headed over to a friend's house to go to the Oberrieden Badi. A badi is an open air swimming pool with access to swim in Lake Zurich.

I had heard from neighbors that this particular badi was fantastic for kids. And boy were they right. They have a great kids pool with sprayers, a water umbrella, and a water pump. Next to that is a slide and a huge sandpit with another water pump. Then there is a kids area in the lake. I highly recommend it.

We returned to the badi this morning for a birthday party. Marion was thrilled to be back. The swimming pool really is one of the best I've seen.

Marion and I had a great time at the party, meeting new people and talking with others we've met before.

Until Marion went under somehow. I was talking to the other moms at the party and turned my head away from the pool for a couple of seconds to greet someone. The next thing I know, Marion is standing in the eight inches of water completely drenched and another mother is picking up her (now soaked) hat. I went over to get Marion and thanked the other mother for being there. I asked the mother if she fell and she said yes. I then brought Marion over to where we were sitting and wrapped her in a towel, asking her what happened. All she would say was "Mommy, I fall." I think she was still too shocked to talk about it! And I don't have a clue as to what happened. Nothing is slippery near the pool and the water is only about eight inches deep. I'm starting to wonder if she tripped or was pushed... Frankly, I'll never know.

Here is the evidence, my drenched daughter.
I feel horrible. But just the first of many scary experiences, right? Right????

Marion's shock wore off quickly and she was her bubbly self again. There was birthday cake to be eaten and all was right with the world!

The rest of the day was spent running errands and doing laundry. I won't bore you with the details.

However, tomorrow is Swiss National Day which means more fireworks! Marion won't get to see them since they will go off after her bedtime, but Brian and I hope to see some. And Brian has the day off so we've decided to head back to the badi. So more bathing beauty pictures tomorrow!

7 comments:

Lemon Gloria said...

I love the ponytail! I used to LOVE having my hair up in a ponytail as a kid. My hair is almost long enough to pull all of it back and I can't even tell you how excited I am about being able to do so. And yay for swimming pools!

Anonymous said...

So cute!

I think I've seen this, or one like it on the way to Zurich Flughafen. It's on the right on some river right before the Wipkingen or Oerlikon stop? It looks like so much fun! So many kids are splashing everywhere.

Love the rashguard by the way! She should be out in Hawaii on Waimea Bay surfing the waves :)

Anonymous said...

Yes, Mom, this is the first of many experiences that will stop your heart!!! Welcome to parenthood.... it only gets better. Waid until she starts driving! Glad she's ok. Love to all.

Anonymous said...

I wish Jessica would wear a ponytail. So, so cute!

What is the temperature over there now? I always think of Switzerland as freezing, but obviously not if you're in the pool!

Cheryl (cla517)

Cissy said...

Marion gets more beautiful every time you post a pic.
Loved my "European Cow" card!

Luv, Cissy :-)

mrsmac said...

Lisa- thanks! that ponytail took 5 long minutes and we haven't attempted it since. i should get on that. :-)

colleen- yep, that is the one!

hoppy- driving??? pfft. brian says she won't be allowed out of the house.

cheryl- it isn't too chilly. it varies from day to day in the 60s to 80s. it is odd how random the weather can be here!

cissy- glad you like the card!

lindsay said...

i love her hair. she is so pretty.