Friday, January 22, 2010

Therme Vals

Last weekend I went to Therme Vals with some girlfriends to celebrate my upcoming birthday.

First impression, not so hot. The hotel hasn't really been updated since it was built in the sixties. Everything's clean and the rooms were functional but it screams sixties, which I wasn't expecting.

Then we went to the spa.

Wow.

Gorgeous doesn't cover it. This spa, well known because it was designed by architect Peter Zumthor, is amazing. Truly breathtaking. And unfortunately I can't show you everything because pictures were not allowed in the spa.

But I can snag some pictures from the web.

Here are the stairs down into the pool area.

There were six pools in total. A 32 deg C main pool,

fire and ice pools (41 deg C and 14 deg C), a flower bath (33 deg C), a sound bath (35 deg C), and an outdoor pool (36 deg C winter, 30 deg C summer).

The sound room was my favorite and is shown in the middle picture above. It was enclosed except for a small passageway. Light reflected up through the water and onto the stone walls while relaxing sounds were played. Basically relaxation in a stone box.

The entire spa was constructed of Valser quartzite, a stone local to the area. So local that everything is built from this stone, including a local bridge.

In between spa trips, we enjoyed a walk around the small town of Vals.


Afterwards, we went out to dinner at the Hotel Therme's Red Restaurant.

The dinner was fabulous and, at the end, the girls surprised me with a birthday dessert platter!

It was a great weekend. We came home relaxed and wondering when we would go back- always a good sign of a fantastic trip.

So if you get a chance, go! Be sure to book early- hotel and spa treatments. This place books up early! And enjoy!

4 comments:

grammie said...

What an amazing spa...never saw anything like it. Hope you hopped from pool to pool :)

Looks like dinner was a hit....empty wine glasses and no desserts left. My kind of meal.

L & H
Mom

Elisa @ Globetrotting in Heels said...

This looks fantastic! You might have given me an idea for my birthday present ;-)

across jeans said...

I'd love to go to Therme Vals one of these days. What a beautiful and peaceful place to relax just like the places i've been as seen on my site.

Sam said...

I'd love to go to this place, but from what i'm reading on the web it's closed in winter (we'll be in the area between xmas and new years). So you went in January by the looks of it?