Thursday, September 18, 2008

I decided to postpone German classes

Unfortunately I can't imagine sitting in a class right now with the way I feel. I'm hoping I'll be able to take the January session. So, sadly, no German from me for awhile.

However, someone in our house is learning the language. Marion has started to say "Oh, nein!" the last few days. At first I thought she was saying "Oh, mine!" But no, she has definitely picked up another German word. So far she regularly uses the following:

Gruezi - Swiss German for hello
Danke Schoen - Thank you (never says thank you in English anymore)
Nein - No
Ciao/Tcheuss - Swiss German for goodbye

And god knows what else that I can't understand.

She's going to be my translator soon.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you and good for her!!! Maybe she'll be able to help you with the traffic cops in a few months!! ;)

Love to all!!

ToadMama said...

I've been thinking about you! So has Hubby. Sorry to hear you're having such a rough go of things. Maybe all the sickness and nightmares will produce a Stephen King-like baby! A kid with the imagination of SK, that is.

Hang in there. German can wait.

Pumpkin said...

I hope you are feeling better.

My kids are starting to pass my French level and it is a strange but beautiful thing for me!

I love when a child gets a chance to be bilingue.

Anonymous said...

hhahaha!!! hilarious hoppy!!!!

that's too cute, i'm glad she's picking it up well.

hope you feel better!

Reama said...

I studied German for 4 years in college. I even won an award for outstanding student of the year. Additionally, I led a class for first and second year students that met once per week.

I can get you through the basics of how to survive over there via email and the occasional phone call. Plus, it would be something interesting for you to do each day. If you're interested, you can send me an email. I'd be happy to occupy your mind and share one of my great loves! Maybe you can sign up for the advanced Deutsch als Zweitesprache class in January.

mrsmac said...

hoppy- yea, hoping there won't be need for that!

toadmama- thanks!!! still fighting it but hoping for that end soon!

pumpkin- i totally agree! i hope she picks it up and retains the language!

colleen- thanks!

orygun redneck - thanks so much! i'd love to take you up on your offer once i'm feeling better!

rosti- that is adorable!

Reama said...

I'll be glad to teach you once you feel better. That will give me some time to find a website or some reading materials that will help us. FYI, this is Bryan's cousin Reama not some crazy stalker. :) The "orygun redneck" name is a bit of a joke.