Friday, August 27, 2010

Settling in.

The girls and I are spending our first night in our new home tonight. Up until now we've been camped out at my parent's house while I took care of a myriad of things. But now things are (semi) ready for us to move in and so we took the plunge.

Right now it is closing on 8 pm our time and I'm pretty sure my monitor isn't working since I can hear various shouts from upstairs. I hope the rest of the night goes better than it started.

So I'm sitting here, blogging again (finally), and looking around our house marveling at how different our lives are now. It happened so fast. And it is so odd to look around our new home at the things that were in storage mixed with the things from our travels. For example, there are two purple leather poufs we bought in Marrakech sitting on the rug we had in our master bedroom before we moved to Switzerland. So very odd how they all go together now.

And then I start thinking about where I was four, six, eight weeks ago. Was I really on a cruise through the Baltic and North Sea less than two months ago? Did I really spend a week in Provence? Four days in Marrakech? Move my family and some of our belongings to another country? Did all of that really just happen?

It seems like a lifetime ago.

Aside from the amazement of what we just did, I'm adjusting to living in the US. I've driven more in the past week than I did in some months in Switzerland. I can understand everything that is going on around me and sometimes it hurts my head to hear that much talking. I spent an hour walking through my local grocery store, memorizing where everything was and being amazed at the price of everything. I bought strawberries on Monday and ate some today (still good!). And I've been to Target five times.

It's been a wild week but we're getting there. The hardest part of this transition, by far, has been missing our friends. We might as well start saving now for visits to see everyone!

Tomorrow begins our final phase of our move. Brian arrives after finalizing things in Switzerland for us and I can't wait to see what differences really stick out for him. And to see Marion and Betti's faces when they see him. That will be priceless.

4 comments:

Lady Muck said...

Just said goodbye to Brian... He should be boarding the plane just about now! It must seem all very weird... surreal even. Missing you all so much, but so glad that you will all be together in just a few short hours!

Rach :) xx

Heather said...

Welcome home! I hope the overall transition is smooth!!!!

gammie said...

It has been going so quickly, all your planning, shopping,....and now you are settling into your house and making it a beautiful home for your fam. Great job :)

L&H
Mom

Ted, Izzy, Jules and Viv said...

And....it's so crazy that your move back home is happening at the exact same time as my move to Spain. Except you're a few days ahead of me because I'm still in Oakland (but you've always been a bit a head of me:) I can't believe I'll be in Barcelona in less than 4 days!